- They are 98% human! 98% of the Gorilla’s genes are the same as the genes found in humans.
- They live only in Africa and no where else in the world.
- They make up to 25 different sounds, which is the highest level of vocalization by any great ape after humans. One gorilla named Koko even knew sign language and could make 1000 different signs!
- Want to identify a gorilla? Take its nose print. They’re unique (just like human fingerprints).
- Homosexuality exists in gorilla families and often females pair together and engage in sexual activity.
When we refer to “Silverbacks”, we mean “male gorillas who’s over the age of 12” and who are often troop leaders. “Blackbacks” are “males under the age of 11”.