- Wolverines belong to the Mustelidae family, which includes badgers, otters, minks and beavers.
- Wolverines secrete a very foul-smelling liquid from their anus to throw-off predators and marauders. This liquid has given them the name “skunk bear”.
- Wolverines use a unique tactic to hunt. They climb onto tall trees and pounce onto their prey from the top. Sometimes, the force of the fall is enough to maim or kill the prey.
- In a fight between a bear and a wolverine, the bear will more likely be the first to back-off. Why? Wolverines are known for their nasty temper and nastier bite.
- The word “wolverine” means “glutton” in Latin. Wolverines will hunt/scavenge anything that comes in their path and pick the bones clean within hours. They’re also great at sneaking food out of traps set by researchers.
A “wolverine” is actually the male of the species. The female is called an “angeline” and wolverine cubs are called “kits”.
Video: Wolverine kits with their mother
So now that you know these amazing facts, which wolverine do you prefer? Comment below.