- Chevrotain are found only in Asia and Africa.
- Chevrotain are super small in size. The various sub-species of the mouse deer range in size between that of a Chihuahua and a Jack Russell Terrier.
- Although they resemble deer and have mousey faces, the chevrotain are not related to either of the animals. In fact, they belong to a separate, mostly-extinct species called Tragulidae, of which they are the only surviving members.
- They have very long and sharp fangs which they use during battle for territory and mates. Their bites can put even Dracula to shame.
- Female chevrotain are pregnant for most of their adult lives. They mate and get pregnant within a few hours of giving birth.
Chevrotains walk down into the river bottom and remain submerged for up to 4 minutes at a time when they sense the presence of predators. They may also create secondary burrows for themselves underwater where they stay until the danger passes. To see what this is like, watch the video below.